Hungary visa Information, Hungary Embassy address

Hungary Visa Information:


General information:

The range of countries that can be visited without a visa is regularly changing, therefore it is advisable to gather information on whether or not the countries you wish to visit or travel through require a visa for entry. If they do, a visa needs to be obtained prior to your travel because today there is hardly any possibility of obtaining an entry visa at the border (airport). Hungarian Flag

It is important to note that all countries impose a restriction on both the time and purpose of the visit when entering the country without a visa. In general, you can stay sixty to ninety days without a visa in a particular country where you are not allowed to take up employment or perform any gainful activity.

Types of visa

A visa is an endorsement which the recipient country generally sticks or stamps in the passport allowing the holder to pass through, stay for a defined purpose and time, and enter the country .

There are many different types of visa in each country, however the major types and classes are more or less identical, and these are as follows:

Airport transit visa (Visa type “A”);
Transit visa (Visa type “B”);
Short-term entry visa (Visa type “C”);
Residence visa (Visa type “D”) .

Airport transit visa

You will not be given entry in the international zone (or referred to as transit area) of airports unless you have a valid passport and airline ticket (boarding card). If you stay in the international zone of an airport in a foreign country, you do not generally need to have the visa of the given country even if otherwise your entry to the country is subject to a visa. In some instances, however, the authorities of the given country may demand that you obtain a specific visa for entry to the transit area for security reasons. This visa only allows the holder to stay in the transit area for the duration of the transit .

Transit visa

Transit visa, as the term suggests, is required if you are only passing through a country and your destination is another country. Such a visa allows a shorter period of stay (no longer than 5 days) and permits either single or multiple transit .

Short-term entry visa

You will need a short-term visa for the purpose of entering into such a country with which Hungary does not have a visa exemption agreement. Such a visa allows a permanent stay of up to ninety days, but obviously the permitted period of stay can be significantly shorter (only a few days). The duration of stay permitted is always shown in the visa. It also indicates whether the permit is for single or multiply entry.

Pursuant to Act XXXIX of 2001, a short-term visa permits a single or multiple entry within 6 months, or for a maximum duration of ninety days in the event of an uninterrupted stay, and allows entry within 6 months from the day of first entry in the event of an interrupted stay, but no longer than ninety days with consideration to all entries .

Residence visa

A residence visa allows a longer duration of stay and is usually obtained for the purpose of performing work or other gainful activities or undertaking studies (university or college). This visa itself, however, does not grant rights to employment, but this is subject to a permit by the authority in charge. If anyone wishing to stay in a foreign country longer than a definite period of time (generally 6-12 months), s/he generally needs to obtain a visa and then apply for a residence permit from the immigration authorities. As was indicated above, you are allowed to stay for only sixty to ninety days without a visa in countries which entered into a visa exemption agreement, hence anyone wishing to stay longer than this in such a country needs to apply for a visa. A residence visa generally allows multiple and single entry and leave, and permits you to stay in Hungary for a particular purpose for up to 1 year without having to obtain a separate permission. A residence visa issued for the purpose of obtaining seasonal employment allows a stay of up to 6 months within 12 months, and the one issued on the grounds of humanitarian considerations for up to 6 months.

Unless stated otherwise in international conventions, foreign citizens need to obtain a residence visa prior to their entry for the purpose of getting employment or performing any gainful activities that are subject to a permit under the law.

For that purpose, the application for a residence visa can be approved if the foreign citizen

has been granted a work permit by the labour authority in charge;
performs a gainful activity which generates profits to the Republic of Hungary or holds either scientific or cultural values .
Obtaining employment or performing a gainful activity is not subject to a separate visa unless the foreigner has a residence visa or permit for the purpose of family reunion .

Applications for a visa

Generally, you need to contact personally the embassy (consular office) of the particular country for the application for a visa. If the country you wish to visit does not have an embassy in Hungary, then you need to get some information as to whether a third country represents the interests of the country in question and accepts applications for a visa. If there is no such a country (embassy), then you can submit your application for a visa only to the foreign embassy (of the particular country located in another country). It should be noted that many travel agencies undertake to obtain visas, for which you obviously need to pay a charge in addition to the cost (fee) of the visa.

Application for a visa requires you to fill in a (sometimes quite detailed) form to which you need to attach your passport and (generally two) passport-size photographs and you need to pay the cost (fee) of the visa. The amount of such a fee may vary for each country and type of visa. It may often be the case that you also need to supply a document showing the purpose of your visit or an authority permit (e.g. letter of invitation, work permit) for you to obtain a visa. Often, you may not complete the application for a visa in Hungarian language and you need to use either the official language of the recipient country or a third language frequently used in international relations (e.g. English or French) to fill in the form. Application for a visa is subject to a valid passport and many countries require that the passport be valid for a further 6 – 12 months at least.

It is important to know that the visa (or the passport if entry is allowed with a visa) does not automatically allow entry to the area of the country in question. The immigration authority may require further documents confirming the purpose of your visit (work permit), or check whether you have the financial means necessary for you to stay in that country and travel back (letter of invitation, cash or cheque, valid tickets, hotel reservation, etc.). If you fail to produce the aforesaid, you may be refused entry regardless of whether you have a valid passport and visa.

By admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *