Uk Work Permit

The programme is designed to allow highly skilled people to migrate to the United Kingdom to look for work or self-employment opportunities.

The Highly Skilled Migrant Programme is different from the work permit arrangements because you do not need a specific job offer in the UK to apply.

It is different from business routes such as the Innovators scheme because you do not need a detailed business plan; you do not need to create jobs; and you do not need to invest in the UK.

How To apply?

You should apply to the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme Team at the Border and Immigration Agency in Sheffield. You can apply from abroad and in most cases; you can also apply from inside the UK if you are here with Home Office permission.

Individuals already in the UK may apply to switch into HSMP without leaving the UK provided they have leave as a:

  • Work permit holder; or
  • Student who has successfully obtained a degree level qualification on a recognised degree course at either a UK publicly funded further or higher education institution or a bona fide UK private education institution which maintains satisfactory records of enrolment and attendance; or
  • Postgraduate doctor or a postgraduate dentist or trainee general practitioner; or
  • Working holidaymaker; or
  • International Graduates Scheme participant; or
  • Innovator; or
  • Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland scheme participant.

Your leave to remain application will not be successful if you are in the United Kingdom as a visitor, on temporary admission, or without permission.

Requirements for HSMP:

HSMP is a points-based immigration scheme. Points are scored in four main areas:

  • Qualifications
  • Past Earnings
  • Age Assessment
  • UK Experience

You will also be required to supply specified required evidence to meet the mandatory English Language requirement

There are also separate arrangements for those who are applying through the MBA Provision.

You need to score 75 points or more and meet the English language requirement in order to qualify as a highly skilled migrant.

How long will I be allowed to stay in the United Kingdom as a highly skilled migrant?

At first, we give you permission to stay in the UK for up to 24 months to seek work or self-employment opportunities.

After 24 months, you can apply to stay for longer and may be granted up to a further three years’ leave, but you must meet the criteria set down for an extension of leave.

As a highly skilled migrant, can I stay in the United Kingdom permanently?

If you live here continuously for five years with Home Office permission, you can make an application for Indefinite leave to remain.

Visa Fee:

Visa fee for HSMP programme of uk is £ 205.00


1. How can I obtain the guidance notes and application forms?

You can download the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme: Guidance for Applicants and the HSMP1 application from the ‘All forms’ page. Alternatively, you can request a copy to be posted to you by calling our Distribution Centre on 01173 441 471.’

2. How do I know what documents to send with an application?

The HSMP: Guidance for Applicants explains and defines the evidence we require from you in order to qualify for points towards the scheme.

3. What is the fee for consideration of an application and how do I pay?

The HSMP fee is £400. Payment can be made by one of the 3 methods indicated on the payment form:

  • UK Postal Order
  • Credit/Debit card or
  • Cheque. Please make cheques payable to ‘Home Office, Work Permits (UK)’.

You will be exempt from these charges if you are a national of Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bulgaria, Croatia, FYR of Macedonia, Moldova, Romania, Turkey, Ukraine and Georgia.

4. Do you accept copies of certificates or other evidence?

We will only accept the original specified information. Where a document is not in English the original must be accompanied by a fully certified translation by an officially recognised translator. An officially recognised translator is defined as one that is recognised by the local British High Commission or Embassy.

5. Will my documents be returned after consideration?

Decision letters and original documents can only be returned to the applicant’s current address, declared on the front of the application form, or the address stated on the representative’s declaration page, if supplied.

The HSMP case-working Team will return your documents once the application process is complete. If you need your documents back before this time, you will need to contact the HSMP Team on telephone number 0114 207 4074.

For applications made within the UK, all documents will be dispatched using Recorded Delivery. For applications made from outside of the UK, documents will be sent by airmail

6. Can I arrange a courier to collect my documents from Sheffield?

Yes. If you wish to arrange a courier to collect your documents please notify the HSMP team by fax on 0114 207 6021 and they will contact you to let you know when and where your documents will be ready for collection. Please be aware that the HSMP team will not sign any documents from the courier company or pay for this service.

7. Can I send additional documents after I have made the initial application?

You should send in all the required supporting evidence with your application. Failure to do so is likely to lead to the refusal of your application. You may send in additional documents provided they reach the HSMP team before a decision has been considered. Please send any clearly identifiable additional documents directly to the HSMP Team in Sheffield.

By post:

Home Office
PO Box 3468
S3 8WA
By courier:
Home Office
S1 4PQ

8. Do I need to send my passport in with the HSMP application forms?

No, do NOT send your passport for an initial HSMP decision. However, you will need to provide your passport and the passports of your dependants for an extension application. However, if you are applying for an HSMP extension under the English Language Requirement – Transitional arrangements, and intend to take an IELTS Band 6 test within the next ten weeks, you should provide a copy of your passport. You should send your original passport along with the IELTS Test Report as soon as this is available.

9. Can I apply for this scheme by e-mail?

This service is not currently available for HSMP applications.

10. What is the provision for Masters of Business of Administration Graduates?

The 2004 Budget announced a new provision for graduates of the top 50 business schools to work in the UK for up to 12 months on completing their MBA. This provision forms part of the HSMP and aims to attract highly qualified and talented managers to the UK.
If you graduate from one of the eligible MBA programmes while that programme is on the list of eligible courses then you are eligible to apply for the MBA Provision. Successful applicants will be awarded 75 points for their eligible MBA.

11. Where do I send the completed application form and how?

Initial applications should NOT be sent directly to the HSMP team.

Application forms should be sent to our payment-processing site at the following address:

By Post:
Border and Immigration Agency
P.O. Box 3975
S1 9BL
By Courier:
Border and Immigration Agency
7th Floor
Fountain Precinct
Balm Green
S1 2JA
Applications for Further Leave to Remain should be sent to the following address:
By Post:
Border and Immigration Agency (FLR(HSMP)
P.O. Box 3976
S1 9BN
By Courier:
Border and Immigration Agency – FLR(HSMP)
7th Floor
Fountain Precinct
Balm Green
S1 2JA

12. Do you acknowledge receipt of the application?

We will confirm receipt of your application if you complete the relevant section of the application form. This acknowledgement will be sent once the payment has cleared and the application is received by the HSMP team.

13. What are your processing times?

Our service standard is that 50% of new applications should be decided within 5 weeks of receipt at our payment handling service and 90% within 14 weeks.

Your decision may be delayed if we need to make further checks or seek additional information. This action may result in your application taking longer to decide.

More information on our service delivery standards.

14. Can my application be processed any faster than published estimates?

It is possible to make a request for your application to be processed urgently but only in the following circumstances:

  • You have urgent travel commitments;
  • You require urgent medical treatment;
  • You have received an offer of employment;
  • You have other exceptional circumstances.

You will be required to complete an HSMP Urgent Treatment form which can be faxed to the HSMP Team on 0114 207 6021. You can obtain a copy of this form from the ‘All Forms’ page.

15. How do I notify a change of my address?

If you change your address please send full details to the HSMP Team in writing to:
E-mail: HSMP.workpermits@ind.homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk
Fax: 0114 207 6021.


By admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *