Contributory Parent Visa Australia


This visa allows parents to migrate to Australia permanently, to join their children who are living in Australia.
Persons who can apply:
This visa is for you if you hold a Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa (Subclass 173) and want to apply for the permanent Contributory Parent (Migrant) visa (subclass 143).

You can apply for this visa any time before your Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa expires.

Your spouse and other family members may be included in your application if they meet certain requirements.
See: Definitions

Visa Cost:
You must pay a visa application charge when you lodge your application. This application charge covers you and all family members included in your application and will usually not be refunded if your application is unsuccessful, or if you decide to withdraw your application after you have lodged it. A second visa application charge for each person included in the application is also required before the visa is granted.
See: Parent Visa Charges

What does the visa let me do?
This visa allows you, your accompanying spouse and dependent family members to live as permanent residents in Australia.

You can also:

  • work and study in Australia
  • receive subsidised healthcare through Medicare and the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS)
  • access certain social security payments (subject to waiting periods)
  • be eligible to apply for Australian citizenship (subject to the residency eligibility criteria)
  • sponsor people for permanent residence (subject to waiting periods).

Visa validity period:

In normal circumstances, two (2) years is considered to be a reasonable period.
These pages provide information about the requirements that must be met to support a visa application.


If the visa is granted, the following requirements must be met.

Applicant and Family Members
You and any accompanying family members must comply with all Australian laws as permanent residents.

Your sponsor must continue to help you and your accompanying family members settle in Australia by providing:

  • support
  • accommodation
  • financial assistance.

Sponsorship must be provided for the first two (2) years:

  • from the date of entry into Australia, if the application was lodged outside Australia
  • from the date of visa grant, if the application was lodged in Australia.


The assurer must:

  • provide financial support to you (and your family) so you do not have to rely on any government forms of support
  • repay the Australian Government for any recoverable social security payments made by Centrelink to you and any others covered by the Assurance of Support
  • pay a refundable bond before the visa is granted.

For this visa, the Assurance of Support must remain in place for you and any accompanying family members for ten (10) years from the date of:

  • entry into Australia, if the application was lodged outside Australia
  • visa grant, if the application was lodged in Australia.

See: Fact Sheet 34 – Assurance of Support

By admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *