Canada Self-Employed Visa
Canada Self-Employed Visa:
The Self-Employed Persons Program seeks to attract applicants who have the intention and ability to become self-employed in Canada. Self-employed persons are required to have either:
- relevant experience that will make a significant contribution to the cultural or athletic life of Canada or
- experience in farm management and the intention and ability to purchase and manage a farm in Canada.
Relevant experience is defined as:
- participation at a world-class level in cultural activities or athletics
- farm management experience or
- self-employment in cultural activities or athletics. Please consult the Related Links section at the bottom of this page for a list of activities that qualify. You will also find a link to definitions of terms that apply to self-employed persons.
You will be assessed on selection criteria that include your experience, education, age, language abilities, and adaptability.
Medical, security and other requirements
You and your family members must pass a medical examination and security and criminal checks. You can find more information on both of these topics in the Quick Find section on the right-hand side of this page.
You must show that you have enough money to support yourself and your dependants after you arrive in Canada. You can find more information under Proof of funds in the Related Links section at the bottom of this page.
You must also meet any other requirements of Canadian and provincial or territorial immigration regulations.
Under the Canada-Quebec Accord, the province of Quebec operates its own business immigration program. If you want to settle in the province of Quebec, contact the nearest Quebec immigration office, or visit the website of the Quebec ministry that handles immigration.
How to apply
There are two application processes for self-employed persons who want to apply to become permanent residents:
- the simplified application process and
- the regular application process.
Most applicants must use the simplified process. However, you must use the regular process if:
- you have been selected by Quebec
- you have been lawfully admitted to Canada for a period of at least one year and you are submitting your application at the Canadian visa office in Buffalo or
- you have been lawfully admitted into the United States for a period of at least one year and you are submitting your application at the Canadian visa office in Buffalo.
If none of the situations described above applies to you, you must use the simplified application process.
Choose the application process that applies to you:
Quebec has its own business immigration program. If you want to settle in the province of Quebec, contact the nearest Quebec immigration office, or visit the website of the Quebec ministry that handles immigration.