Child Visa Australia: Australian Visa Bureau

Child Visa:

This is a temporary visa for a natural, adopted or step child of a parent who holds a temporary partner visa and has not yet been granted a permanent partner visa.

This means that the child’s parent must hold one of the following visas:

  • temporary Spouse visa (subclasses 309 or 820)
  • temporary Interdependency visa (subclasses 310 or 826).

Applicants for this visa will require sponsorship from the same person sponsoring the child’s visa-holding parent.

Note: If this visa is granted, the child must lodge a separate application for the same permanent visa as their parent before a decision is made on the parent’s permanent visa application.

How much will this visa cost?

There is an application charge for this visa. This will usually not be refunded if the application is unsuccessful, or if the applicant decides to withdraw the application after lodging it. The application charge covers the applicant and all family members included in your application. The Dependent Child visa is known as an Extended Eligibility (temporary) visa.
See: Child Visa Charges

What does the visa let the visa holder do?
This visa allows the visa holder to travel to and from, or remain in Australia for as long as their parent’s temporary visa is valid, or until the parent’s permanent visa application is finalised.

Visa validity period
This visa is valid until a decision is made on the parent’s permanent Spouse or Interdependency visa application, or until the parent’s visa application is withdrawn.


These pages provide information about the requirements that must be met to support a visa application.

  • Applicant
  • Sponsor


If this visa is granted, the following requirements must be met.

Applicant obligations

The child must comply with all Australian laws.

Sponsor obligations

The following obligations apply to approved sponsors:

  • Be responsible for all financial obligations to the Australian Government that the child might incur while they are in Australia.
  • Ensure adequate accommodation and financial assistance is available as required to meet the child’s reasonable living needs. If the child is applying outside Australia, this assistance would cover the child’s first two (2) years in Australia. If the child is applying in Australia, this assistance would cover the two (2) years following the grant of the child’s visa.
  • Provide information and advice to help the child settle in Australia.
  • Provide support as required to enable them to attend any required English language classes.
  • Advise the department in writing if their circumstances change in a way that may affect the child’s eligibility for this visa, or the sponsor’s eligibility to sponsor the child.

By admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *